Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Day In the Life Of: Berthold Charles


To Be Or Not To Be? 


Berthold Jean Charles- NYC Based Fashion Stylist




Berthold and I awaiting to be seated at Desigual MBFW Fall 2014 #Runway Show
Berthold and I at an art gallery in Chelsea, NYC

Well that seems to be the question of the year. There is just too much of everything going on these days. Everyone seems to be this... others seem to be that. Too many cliques not enough leaders. Social media is well known for making anyone seem or look important. When meeting some of these social media stars in person, they surprisingly don't have the social skills or etiquette to match their impeccable wardrobe.

"How do we weed out true talent from a forest full of wannabes?" I asked Berthold, as we walked through the front doors of Lincoln Center, on the first day of NYFW. "Well it's hard these days, too many people are not dressing for themselves, their dressing for others and to be photographed" Berthold says, after having an annoying debate about his credentials with one of the security guards.

I had just saved him, Adrian (a videographer) and I were climbing the steps, excited to see Desigual's Fall 2014 Ready To Wear collection. There was Berthold, a model and stylist, talking with one serious faced guard. Berthold turned with annoyance and said "well finally a familiar face." Can I use your phone for internet? My phone just died, and they need to see my invitation". "Of course", I said, shocked that they didn't just let him in, after all he looks like he belongs there. Or at least they need him in there. He has a style that is innovative and way before his time. But you can't blame the guards, they're just doing their job.

A year ago,  Daniel, my previous Editor n Chief at Livid Magazine, received a submission of Berthold's work. It was a fashion editorial featuring himself as a model. The photos were amazingly odd, his presence grabbed our attention, wanting to know more about him. We would've been fools not to use it.

"Finally!" Berthold says while showing his invitation to the grumpy guard. We walked in and to our surprise, the set up was different. "No wonder" I said. "It feels like death" Berthold says. Adrian agrees. "I guess they really want to bring it back to Bryant Park days, more business and less sociable. I don't know if it's for the good. After all, fashion should be fun and we make it fun. The designers need us, you know. The inbetweeners. We make shit happen. We make it pop. We influence sales" Berthold says.

I gave his comment some thought. Is fashion week at Lincoln Center going in the right direction? How much do we as inbetweeners influence fashion and business? Are they tired of the wannabees and are making it more exclusive? You need it all, I said to Berthold. "Without any of it, it wouldn't be worth the wild" I added. While waiting on line, Berthold decided it would be great to skip to the front.  He says as eccentric as possible, "You have to act like you belong there already, because at the end of the day, you do. I can't wait until I really make it. I can feel it, I'm almost there. I wonder how I'll be. I wonder if I'll make it harder for other people. Nah I'm not that guy" He says to Adrian and I.

After seeing a great show from Desigual, we dashed to preview Dore collection at the Empire Hotel. Later we grabbed a snack from a local deli and then headed to Chelsea were we crashed about 6 different events at art galleries. I had the time of my life with Berthold and Adrian, we took the night. He reminded us what it felt like the first time attending shows during NYFW. It's scary to blend in so just be you!!! Yet Brave : ).


More about Berthold 






MM:What city were you born? 

BJC: 
NYC! 

MM: Were you always this eccentric with your look during your early school days? 
 If so, how did you deal with the pressures of fitting in or standing out? 

 BJC: 
I was always a very neat person. Even as a little boy I use to iron my pants with a crease every  morning before I went to school. My style aesthetic was more "URBAN" then, but I always had a unique sense of style way before I knew what style even was. Hmmmm...... I was a loner. I had literally one friend and many associates. So, I didn't care too much about fitting in. Being popular was never something I cared about. 

MM: Did people outcast you because of it? 

BJC: I mean I didn't talk to that many people, but the ones I did speak to accepted me for who I was and also had a unique sense of style themselves. I never hung out with people that judged me. I would hear things but I was like those aren't my friends so who cares. 

MM: Why did you go with Trey Styles instead of your real name? 

BJC: Well.. It was actually spelled Tr3y Stylez. Eeeeek! I thought I was so cool with that. It just came from Tre Chic and then I figured Why not stylez as a last night. I swear people thought I was a rapper, but it did afford me opportunities I guess because of the intrigue of such a name. People love catchy things. As I grew I had to let that name go and use my real name which is Berthold Jean-Charles. Berthold is German and means "BRILLIANT RULER"

MM: Who do you admire most in fashion? 

BJC: PRINCE

MM: What do/did you like most about fashion week? 

BJC: 
THE PARTIES!

MM: How do you feel about street style? 

BJC: 
We have a love hate relationship. So many people are sort of chasing a certain aesthetic to be photographed and not truly being themselves. Not everyone, but many.

MM: Where do you see yourself in the next 2 years? 

BJC: 
On television. 

MM: Whose your favorite designer? 

BJC: Dsquard2, because I love the tailoring in all their collections and the pieces are very cohesive and totally me.

MM: Who do you have a style crush on?  Andre 3000, because he does what he wants and doesn't give a rats ass what you think and he always looks done!

MM: How would you describe your style?   

BJC: Brilliantly unique, boldly profound

MM: What's your ultimate go to piece? 

BJC: Bag, hat and or belt etc A structured top hat!

MM: If you weren't in fashion what would you be doing? 

BJC:
I would probably be a public speaker

MM: What do you want the world to know you as? 

BJC: 
A person who stuck to his convictions and make an incredible life for himself while giving others beautiful energy and making them smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment